Search This Blog

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Scrooged: 24 Hours of Christmas Non-Favourites!



Okay, let's begin Day #8 of the POP CULTURE ADDICT'S ADVENT CALENDAR with a confession. 

Today is my workplace anniversary.

It was twelve years ago today that I began my job at my current workplace.  Well, okay, technically it's been almost a year in my current area.  I've been bounced around so many times, I feel like those metal balls that you bounce around a pinball machine not knowing whether I'll find myself scoring huge points or going in a direction that leads to the dreaded TILT message.

But I've been with the company for twelve years.  And while there are some things that I wish could have gone differently, it has been a good run.  I mean, it is a job with full time hours and benefits - something that doesn't exist for a lot of people this day and age.  So, in a way, I'm very fortunate to have that.

It's funny that I started off as a Christmas temp hire, and I've stayed for twelve years.  I guess some things you don't necessarily plan for in life.  And while I do believe that everything happens for a reason, I sometimes wonder what that reason is.  Often.

Again, for the most part, things have been fine there.  But because I was hired during the Christmas season, it does lead up to the second part of the "SCROOGED" series - that's where I take one thing about the holidays that I don't particularly like and rant about it.

In this case, the rant I have is about the endless loop of Christmas carols that play over and over and over again.



Now, when I say Christmas carols, I actually don't mind the traditional ones.  I can listen to almost any version of "Silent Night" or "Holy Night" without feeling the urge to snap candy canes in two.  I can listen to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer without wanting to toss a Christmas tree into a wood chipper.  Hell, I could even listen Band-Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas" without wanting to set fire to an entire gingerbread village.

It's when they decide to make modernized versions of these Christmas carols in all their auto-tuned glory that makes me want to spew vomit all over everything green and red in the world.  I mean, I realize that every single singer in the world feels the need to release a holiday album.  But just because they can doesn't mean that they should.



I really don't care about Britney Spears wanting a man dressed in a big red bow underneath her Christmas tree.  I don't want to know what Destiny's Child wants for their 8 days of Christmas or however many days they feel Christmas should last.  And if I hear Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" one more bloody time, I'm going to tape her mouth shut.



ALL RIGHT, WHERE'S MY DUCK TAPE?!?

Look, in all seriousness, I never used to hate Christmas music this much...but when you hear the same songs in a continuous loop for eight hours a day, it makes me grateful that I can put my iPod in at my lunch break and crank up some Billy Joel tunes that have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas.  That gives me joy - and sanity - during the holidays.

But then again...if Billy Joel were to have some Christmas music out, it might sway me to the positive point of view once more. 


I guess like almost everything Christmas related, it's better served in small doses.  Christmas carols, cookies, egg nog, and yes, even gifts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment