Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Random Ramblings On Interior Design

July 8, 2015



I honestly don't even remember the last piece of furniture that I ever bought.  I want to say that it was probably a set of shelves that I use to store my DVD and Blu-Ray collection - which would have probably been a year ago.

Okay, I also bought a television last year as well, but I don't think that really counts as I don't really consider electronic devices to be furniture.  They're more like...a luxury.  Yeah, that's it.

The point is, I wouldn't even have the first clue as to what to look for in a great piece of furniture.  Truth be told, I don't even think I've set foot inside of a furniture store in close to fifteen years.

Now, part of the reason for this is mostly financial based.  My family could never afford brand new furniture, so we always ended up with second hand stuff. 

(Not that there was anything wrong with second hand stuff.  Some of the stuff that we ended up getting was quite nice!)

And it probably didn't help matters much that one of the most talked about furniture places in town was one that my family had boycotted since the year 1986.  Less said about that one, the better.  Although if you go back to the retrospective that I did all throughout the month of May and click on the one dated for my 5th birthday, you can see the reason why the boycott was implemented.

I guess over the years, it didn't really matter much about where our furniture came from.  None of our stuff ever matched, but then, we were the type of family that never really cared about that.  If we had a burnt orange couch and a bluish grey side chair in the same room, it didn't matter to us at all, so long as it was comfortable and functional.  Besides, every single home that I have lived in was a rental and we were never really allowed to decorate the rooms in any sort of way whatsoever. 

As a result, our home always looked like something that came out of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" - a hodge podge of different pieces of furniture which mixed up the traditional with the modern.  Only at our house could you have a coffee table from the 1980's, a rocking chair from the 1970's, a stereo from the 1960's, and a dresser drawer that we think was from the 1920's, but we don't know for sure because we are terrible at identifying pieces.

In fact, I have to give my father a lot of credit.  Some of the things we owned he refinished or even built himself.  My very first comic book shelf was built by my dad all the way back in 1992/93.  Of course, I only had that shelf for about ten years before I accumulated too many books and had to upgrade.

All in all, we did the best we could to make sure that our home was what we made of it.  Sure, it would never win any awards or be featured on an episode of "LifeStyles of the Rich and Famous" or "MTV Cribs", but it was home.

And now that I am going to be getting the keys to my own home in just a week's time, I have my doubts that any of this is really going to change.  I am definitely not looking interested in having a showroom ready living space.  I'm a bit of a slob and I can't function in rooms that are too neat and too clean.  Whenever I watched "Full House", I wanted to go through the Tanner household and mess it up by throwing papers around and ripping open the couch cushions and throwing feathers all over the living room!

Of course, Danny Tanner would have a coronary in the middle of the living room, but...hey, some may consider that an added bonus!

However, one thing that will likely change as a result of moving into my new place is the fact that for the first time in my whole life, I will have complete control over how it is going to look.  I can choose paint colours and wall designs, and placement of furniture items. 

And, I suppose that in a way, because it's my own place...I kind of want to take care of it for as long as possible...have it be my own personal sanctuary for ten, twenty, heck, even fifty years from now. 

So, I guess what I am trying to say is this.  I'm a terrible planner when it comes to home decor and I need some help.  Desperate help! 

After all...it is my first home.  I kind of want it to be incredibly, but comforting.  And, well, I don't know if I need the Trading Spaces crew, or the While You Were Out crew, or one of those Queer Eyes for The Straight Guy people to come to my new place to help me put it together, but any ideas you can give me, I would gladly accept!

Okay.  That is all.  Continue with what you were doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment