Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Celebrity Lookalikes and Dopplegangers

"Has anyone ever told you that you look like that guy from Ghostbusters?"

It was a random question that I was asked by a couple of ladies whom I was ringing in pellets for a paint gun for at the sports counter at my workplace, and I admit that it was a really random question.  So, being the friendly sort that I am, and being a little bit curious about what they were talking about, I pressed them, hoping that they wouldn't think that I looked like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Luckily, it wasn't Stay Puft.  They apparently thought that I looked like Dan Aykroyd.  They even claimed that I sounded like Dan Aykroyd.

Which, admittedly was something that I had never heard before in all my years on this Earth.

Now, just a little background here.  Dan Aykroyd is a Canadian actor and "Saturday Night Live" alumni who starred in a slew of hit films over the last four decades from "The Blues Brothers" to "Christmas With The Kranks".  In "Ghostbusters", he played the role of Ray Stantz.

Now, "Ghostbusters" was released in 1984.  At the time, Aykroyd was 32.  I was only three.  So, needless to say, I didn't get exposed to "Ghostbusters" until much later in life.

But yet, two women thought I looked just like him.

So, I thought to myself...do I really look like Dan Aykroyd?

Well, let's put it to a test, shall we?  I found a picture of Dan Aykroyd circa 1984, when he was 32 years old.  And I will compare it to a photo of myself taken in January 2014, when I myself was 32 years old.  Let's see how close I really resemble Mr. Aykroyd.



Hmmm...actually, you know...I do kind of see some resemblance.  I mean, we both have the same hair and eye colour.  We even kind of have the same exact nose, which I admit I never really noticed before.  But Dan's teeth are a lot straighter than mine are.  I have been blessed with an overbite, what can I say?

But yeah...I admit that I never quite saw myself as being a Dan Aykroyd lookalike until those two women pointed it out.  And hey, maybe they're on to something.

Though, I maintain that I don't think I sound like Dan Aykroyd.  His voice is deep and cool.  Mine is geeky on a good day!

But when I was a lot younger (like in my teen years), the celebrities that people said that I looked like were quite different.



Do any of you remember the group "The Barenaked Ladies"?  Well, they began their career here in Canada circa 1991 with their cover of Bruce Cockburn's "Lovers in a Dangerous Time", and exploded on the Canadian pop charts in 1992 with their debut album "Gordon".  It took some time for them to make it big in the USA, but they did in 1998 with the songs "One Week", and "It's All Been Done". 

Well, the former lead singer of that band was Steven Page, and many people seem to believe that I look like I could be his twin.

Again, let's compare a recent picture of Steven Page with a recent photo of me.



Yep.  Now, see, I think I look more like Steven Page than I do Dan Aykroyd.  In fact, I agree with some of people who think I could be his twin (which is impossible since he's like a decade older than I am, but if we were the same age, I think it could work).

And then there are the comparisons that were made between myself and the current host of "The Price Is Right" Drew Carey.  Apparently some people thought I looked like him, and I can't really see it now.  After all, Drew Carey doesn't look a thing like me now.

Ah, but back in 1995 (the year I entered high school), Drew Carey had his own sitcom that aired on ABC, and he looked a lot different twenty years ago.  Have a look at an older picture of Drew Carey and compare it to a newer photo of yours truly.



Yeah, I can definitely see a resemblance, albeit a faint one.

So, here's my question to all of you.  Do you have a celebrity doppleganger?  Is there someone who is famous that you think you look like?  Let me know in the comments, if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment