Search This Blog

Saturday, November 01, 2014

You Never "November" What You're Gonna Get

Hello, everyone!  Welcome to the first day of November 2014!

I can't believe that it is already November.  2014 has really gone by quickly.  And as the weather continues to grow colder, it comes to mind that before you know it, the holiday season will be fast upon us.  After all, it is only fifty-three days until Christmas.

Wow...that really gave me the chills.  I still have a lot of things to do to prepare for this year's Christmas season.  Yikes.

Fortunately, we still have almost two months to worry about Christmas.  We have the whole month of November to get through yet.

And for this November, I've got a lot of fun events planned.

Now, I realize that in order to talk about the fun stuff that I have plotted for November, I'm going to have to skip the Saturday movie discussion for this week.  Though, given that I talked about Stephen King's "It" earlier this week (which is kind of a movie/miniseries), I thought that I could skip it for this week.  After all, this November has five Saturdays, so skipping one week isn't that bad.  And besides...with what I have planned for this month, it won't really matter how many Saturdays there are in the month.

(We'll get to that a little later.)

No, I wanted to talk to you about my plans for November in "A POP CULTURE ADDICT'S GUIDE TO LIFE".  But I wanted to give it a really nifty name.  Something like "Nifty November", but not quite as lame.

How about...Knockout November?  Nah.  I like the sound of it, but it's not really considered a knockout selection of topics.

Wait.  I have it.  Granted, this name may sound more lamer than Nifty November, but go with it.



Let's call this month - YOU NEVER NOVEMBER WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET.

Yeah, that's perfect.  And, I'll explain what that means in a bit.

Now, over the last few years that I've done this blog, you've come to expect a fixed schedule of entries.  You know that Sundays are music themed.  Thursdays lately have been all about television entries.  And Saturdays are typically for movie entries.

Well, for November...I'm completely abandoning the schedule, and I'm going to mix things up a LOT.  And the best part is that I am not going to tell you what you will expect on six of the seven days because this month, I am going to be switching everything up.

Now you might have noticed that I have said that I will be doing this with six of the seven days.  I will keep the Tuesday Timeline entries on Tuesdays.  The reason being that Tuesday entries are the ones that take the most time to write, and the way my schedule is this month, it makes no sense to switch that theme day to one in which I have significantly less time to write it.



As far as the others go...it's anything goes.  And it will leave you guessing all month long!

Now, just to remind you, here was the current schedule as of October 2014.

SUNDAY - Sunday Jukebox
MONDAY - Funny Monday
TUESDAY - Tuesday Timeline
WEDNESDAY - Who Am I Wednesday
THURSDAY - Tube Talk Thursday
FRIDAY - Foodie Friday
SATURDAY - Saturday Night At The Movies

Yeah.  Don't get used to that.  These days (except Tuesdays) will be switching places.

In fact...just to make you feel even more confused, I'm temporarily going to re-introduce past theme days that I have used in this blog that have since been retired.  They will be replacing at least one (possibly two or three) of the current theme days each week...and the best part is...you will never "November" when this will take place.

Hence the name - You Never November What You're Gonna Get!

Now, what are the defunct theme days?  Well, they were...

SUNDAY FUNNIES - discussions on comic book characters
ACROSS THE POND AND BEYOND - discussions on pop culture from overseas
SATURDAY MORNING - discussions on cartoons
THURSDAY ARCADE - discussions on video games
SATURDAY SMORGASBORD - discussions on books, toys, and games

Now the question remains...why do this?  Why switch everything around?

Well, I wanted to test the waters.  I wanted to see if any of these topics could possibly be resurrected for 2015 entries.  And, I also wanted to see if there were any theme days that I wanted to retire. 

But also...when you tend to get stuck in a rut, you want to try something new.  And, well...I guess I'm kind of in a rut with this blog.  Don't get me wrong, I still love writing it...I'm just kind of bored with the current format, and wanted to try different things.

Anyway, that's what I have planned for November.  Stay tuned for the rest of the year.  The third annual "A POP CULTURE ADDICT'S ADVENT CALENDAR" begins December 1, and will last until Christmas Day.

And then come January 2015, I'll usher in the new year with the results from this little November experiment.

It's a month guaranteed to keep you guessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment