Search This Blog

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Twas The Night Before Black Friday

Hey, everyone!  I just want to let you know that this post is going to be on the short side.  I know that today is Thanksgiving in America, and I imagine that most of you in the United States will be super busy making last minute preparations for your meals, so I'll keep it brief.

Before I go ahead though, I'm going to post this poem that I happened to find online.  I have no idea who wrote this poem (I found it on Buzzfeed), but I just want to say, brilliant job, man!  Actually, if anyone knows who wrote this awesome poem, or if you wrote the poem yourself, feel free to drop me a line here on this blog.  It's very well done, and I am very impressed.  Take a look.



Now, the reason why I post this poem is simple.  I know that Black Friday is tomorrow, and I can already see your credit cards groaning in agony as you prepare to shop until you drop.  Black Friday is considered the kickoff of the busiest holiday shopping weekend of the year (aside from the weekend before Christmas Eve, anyway), and I imagine that some of the best deals that you could ever dream of will be available in retail outlets such as Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Victoria's Secret, and Macy's.  Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if McDonald's had a Black Friday sale going on tomorrow!

And, yes, Canada has jumped in on the Black Friday bandwagon.  I think we started hosting Black Friday events in Canada around five years ago, and it was suggested that Canada start hosting our own Black Friday sales to keep the money flowing in our own country instead of promoting cross-border shopping.  Nice idea in theory, but to be honest, I'd like to shoot the bastard that came up with the idea to even consider having Black Friday in Canada.

(Those of you who work retail like myself will understand my strong feelings towards this subject.)

But like it or not, Black Friday is here to stay, as well as the incentives to shop on Black Friday.  You see ads in mailboxes, you see them in your e-mail accounts.  You can even see them on YouTube!  I just took this screenshot a few minutes ago



(Ahem...yeah, just ignore all those Divorce Court clips.  I was watching them to get ideas for future blog topics...LOL)

I guess the only thing that I can say is that here in Canada, Black Friday is a regular business day.  Our Thanksgiving was back in October.  I guess I just don't understand why people would cut their Thanksgiving dinners short so they can wait in line for discounted apparel, housewares, or electronic devices.  Nor do I understand why retailers would decide that holidays weren't important enough to stay closed for holidays in the first place.

There is no need for stores to open their doors on Thanksgiving so people can practically kill each other trying to get their hands on a 50-inch RCA television for the low price of $199.99!  For starters, I can tell you that RCA televisions are NOT worth waiting in line to buy under any circumstance.  A Samsung or Sony, maybe, but never an RCA.

And while in Canada, Black Friday events are calm, cool, and collected, I can't imagine why anyone would want to experience THIS at all!



Let me stress it enough.  Electronic devices at discounted prices are NOT WORTH THIS AGGRAVATION!

It's just shameful that on the day after a holiday which encourages people to be thankful for what they have, they have what is considered to be the ultimate celebration of greed, disgust, and just plain meanness. 

Black Friday, like it or not, is here to stay.  But, I'm telling you - especially all of you living in America - DON'T SHOP ON THANKSGIVING!  Take back the holidays!  Sit around the table and actually have time to digest your turkey and enjoy the company of your family.  You have all day Friday to get your teeth knocked out by random people craving an XBOX One.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the holiday.  You've earned it.



Happy Thanksgiving, USA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment