Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2014

A Hazy Shade Of Epiphany

November 13, 2014

You know, I really thought a lot about what I was going to do this blog on today.  I had already decided that I would do a personal entry as opposed to a pop culture entry because I find it a lot easier to write from the heart than it is to actually research a topic and write a pop culture themed entry.

Now, granted, in some cases, I don't need to do that much research to talk about certain topics.  If I know them well enough, I could probably do a blog entry on them with my eyes closed.  Some of you probably don't remember the game show called "Talk About" where you have to reveal ten words associated with a particular subject by talking about it within a 20 second time period, but that is somewhat how I do my blog entries on pop culture that I know the subject well.  It ends up being a regurgitation of facts, trivia, and personal experience that I somehow organize into a coherent piece.

Of course, there have also been some instances in which I have challenged myself and have written blog posts on subjects in which I was not familiar with the topic.  Whether they were requests from readers, or whether I was doing a Tuesday Timeline entry, I opted to not walk away from a writing challenge.  I researched, double checked facts, and in a lot of cases, I made it work.

After all...I always said that I love a challenge.

And that's why I have been contemplating something.  Something that I have been thinking about for quite some time.

I have a lot of plans for this blog within the next couple of months, and those plans won't change.  But after the holidays are over and we enter the new year, I have to say...I don't think I can continue the blog the way it is going now.

Does this mean that I will be folding up after 2014 ends?  I don't want to.  In fact, I want to keep this going for as long as I am able to.  But after writing pop culture themed topics for three and a half years, I feel as though the blog is getting a little bit stale.

I do enjoy writing every single day, and I don't think that I will ever give up doing it completely.  But lately, I feel as though I have encountered a bit of a dry spell.  I find it harder to come up with topics to talk about, and I haven't really been putting forth as much effort in the blog as I used to.



In all honesty, I think the reason why I have been feeling this way for a while is because I have been under a lot of personal stress the last few months.  With my mom's health struggles, and with wanting to do so much more with my life but always seemingly putting my own needs behind everybody else's, I guess it's beginning to take its toll.

And, well...this has lead to me wondering if I should take on the ultimate challenge. 

I wonder if I should just focus less on the pop culture side of the blog, and instead put all my attention on the life side?

I don't think that I could ever completely give up the pop culture angle altogether.  And I would still do the occasional pop culture blog.

It just wouldn't be the main focus any more.

I even contemplated changing the name of this blog at one point...but I couldn't do that.  This blog has gone under the same name since 2011.  I can't get rid of it that easily.

That's the reason why I came up with the YOU NEVER NOVEMBER WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET month idea.  After keeping a rigid schedule with theme days, I wanted to see if I could handle it if I got rid of the routine and became more spontaneous.  It certainly has helped me become more creative, but something more needs to happen.

All I know for sure is that 2015 is going to be a year that completely changes the way that this blog is presented.  I just don't exactly know how it is going to work out.

All I can say is...you will be seeing a lot more of me in this piece...and that may or may not be a good thing.  The jury is still out on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment