Search This Blog

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Gift Wrapping 101: A Video Blog

Hi, guys! I hope you're ready for another edition of the Thursday Video Diary entry.



It also happens to be Day #5 of A POP CULTURE ADDICT'S ADVENT CALENDAR.

(Yes...I decided to switch it up a little, and have a star shaped ornament every fifth day of the advent calendar.)


I'm going to be completely honest. I wasn't entirely sure how well-received these video blogs would be when I decided to start doing them last month.  As I talked about in my very first foray into video, I was extremely nervous about it, as I struggled with public speaking in the past due to a traumatic incident from my grade school years.  Even now, I still get nervous about speaking to people with my voice instead of through written words.  As you can tell, I tend to speak a little bit quickly, I mispronounce words, and I think that I say the word "like" way too many times to count.  I reckon that if I ever transcribed one of the video blogs that I've done so far, I would keel over in pain due to the amount of bad grammar and superfluous words that I pepper each video with.

So why do I keep doing it?

Well, practice makes perfect, right?  

One of these days, maybe a year or two down the road, I'll look back on these early video blog entries and laugh at how "green" I was back then!  But one thing that I will say is that I appreciate your patience throughout my ramblings and my bad camera angles, and the close-ups of my thumb because I don't know how to turn off the camera smoothly!  I mean, I can only promise you that things will get better from here.  They most certainly can't get much worse!

Because practice makes perfect, right?

I will say this though.  I'm certainly enjoying filming these videos.  They might not flow the smoothest, but they do come from the heart.  I've actually wanted to do more personal videos here for a while now, but again, that paralyzing fear that I had of public speaking prevented me from doing so.  I don't even think that I have that sexy of a voice, to be perfectly honest!  Granted, it's not Gilbert Gottfried bad or anything like that, but I will never have that booming baritone that Barry White or James Earl Jones made famous.  

But you know something?  I'm okay with that.  I haven't heard any bad complaints about how I sound, and that's good with me.  And, I imagine that the more video blogs that I do, I can find a way to control my pitch to make it seem more...um...professional?  Um, yeah.  That's it.

Because practice makes perfect.

I think you see where this is going, right?  How the more you practice at something, the better you get at it.

I know I certainly felt that way about gift wrapping.  But as you will see in today's video blog, all it takes is a little practice.  Everything will fall into place one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment